Learn how to use an Aneroid Sphygmomanometer which is a manual blood pressure instrument to take blood pressure readings. These instructions for use are applicable to BV Medical Aneroid Sphygmomanometers. This procedure is recommended to measure systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Please note only medical personnel are qualified to analyze blood pressure readings. Always consult with your physician.
How to Take Blood Pressure Readings with an Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
1. Prepare for measurement. The person subject to measurement should sit comfortably, feet flat and back supported. Relax for 5 minutes and don’t talk. Rest left arm on a flat surface at the height of the heart and palm up.
2. Apply Cuff. Use a properly sized cuff. Bladder length should be about 80% of the circumference of the upper arm and width about 40% of the circumference. Wrap the cuff around the upper arm with the lower edge one inch above the antecubital fossa (elbow pit) as shown below. It should be snug.
3. Place Stethoscope Bell. Please note stethoscopes are often sold separately. Lightly press the stethoscope's bell over the brachial artery just below the cuff's edge as shown below..
4. Inflate the Cuff/Bladder. Ensure inflation bulb air valve is closed by turning clockwise. Rapidly inflate the cuff to approximately 180 mmHg.
5. Release Air and Listen through Stethoscope. Turn valve counter-clockwise slightly, so the rate of deflation is 2 to 3 mmHg per second as indicated on gauge. Simultaneously, listen through the stethoscope for first knocking sound (Korotkoff). This is the systolic blood pressure reading. Continue listening until knocking sound ceases. This is the diastolic pressure reading. Refer to image below.
4. Record Results. Take at least two readings, 1 minute apart. Record results. If blood pressure consistently appears elevated (above approximately 120/80), contact a health care professional for advice.
If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to contact us at (888) 822-8293 to speak to one of our Customer Service Representatives. Where people can reach people.